You know it's not good when I'm working 5 days in a row and the first thing I think of is, I'm not going to be able to update my blog. No wonder I try to keep my fiance from reading this most of the time. But he knows I was bummed about not spending time with him as well.
Even though I wasn't able to get my baking on until today, I was working on this post while I sat in our little lunch area at work munching down on my sandwich and a chocolate covered pretzel. I picked up the first magazine from a stack on the table and browsed through the pages until this wonderful treat came up. I just knew I had to make it. I love the rustic look to it as well as the different textures incorporated between the flaky pie crust, the crunchy almonds, and the airy quality to the mousse. It is so light you can probably do some serious damage in one seating. These would also score rave reviews if you're entertaining.
Chocolate-Almond Mousse Neapolitans
(click here for Printable Version)
From Everyday with RR Magazine
7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, plus extra for garnish
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 cups heavy cream
5 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400° and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Unroll piecrust on a work surface and roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Save remaining pieces for another use.
2. Use a 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut out 18 rounds, rerolling the scraps as needed to cut out additional rounds. Set the rounds on prepared cookie sheets and prick them with a fork. Bake until they are golden, which should take 8-10 minutes. Let them cool.
3. Place the chopped chocolate in a double boiler, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and let it cool to lukewarm. Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the rounds with the melted chocolate. Leave the remaining melted chocolate sit at room temperature. Sprinkle 12 of the chocolate-covered rounds with toasted almonds each to taste.
4. In a bowl, combine 1 cup heavy cream, 1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Beat mixture until a soft peak forms. Stir 1/3 of the whipped cream mixture into the remaining melted chocolate. Fold in the remaining whipped cream.
5.Spoon a small dollop of the chocolate whipped cream onto the middle of each of 6 chocolate-almond-glazed rounds. Top with another chocolate-almond-glazed round, another dollop of chocolate whipped cream and a third chocolate-almond-glazed round.
6.Whip the remaining 1 cup heavy cream and 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar. Top each stack of 3 with whipped cream. Grate chocolate over it and top with toasted sliced almonds. Eat and enjoy!
1. I decided to make bite-size rounds using a 1 inch cookie cutter, which made more than twice the amount of Neapolitans and I still had some chocolate and whipped cream mixture left. It's up to you what size you want them to be but keep in mind you'll need to make a lot more rounds to use up all the mixture.
2. Remember when placing the filling in between the rounds to not go heavy-handed on the Chocolate Mousse otherwise it will overflow and become a mess.
3. Just like any recipe, you can make alterations to it to suit your taste. You can choose to not add the almonds to each round and just use them as garnish, or to omit the almonds all together. You can use even use Nutella to brush the rounds. The possibilities are endless.